Feb. 1, 2009
Here is a promo of ‘Parks and Recreation.’
Jan. 26, 2009
- The show’s title is ‘Parks & Recreation.’
- During the Super Bowl this Sunday, NBC will be promoting its own shows, including this one: ‘The Office creator Greg Daniels has helped create an ad touting his next series, the untitled Amy Poehler sitcom premiering in March. “Amy will be in character,” Mr. Stotsky said, declining to give more details.’ Source
- The New York Times has reported that a possible name for the show is “Public Service.” Source
- Jan. 15: Premiere date announced: Thursday, April 9th, 8:30-9 ET. Source: TV Week
- Jan. 15: Here is NBC’s first official webpage on the show. (Nothing new. Boo!) Tipster: Red
- Jan. 15: The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette provides more details:
Cameras follow Leslie Knope (Poehler), described as a “mid-level bureaucrat in the Parks and Recreation Department of Pawnee, Indiana.”
Leslie attempts to improve her town and advance her career by helping a local nurse (Rashida Jones, “The Office”) turn a construction pit into a park. They’re opposed by defensive bureaucrats, NIMBY neighbors and developers. She’s helped and hindered by Tom Haverford (Aziz Ansari, “Human Giant,” “Scrubs”), another government official.
In the process, Leslie hopes to inspire her bored college intern (Aubrey Plaza) and reach her goal of becoming the first female President of the United States.
- Jan. 14: Hollywood Reporter states “NBC’s untitled Poehler project, from “The Office” masterminds Greg Daniels and Mike Schur, is set in the office of Amy (Poehler), deputy chairman of the department of parks and recreations in Pawnee, Ind. [Aubrey] Plaza will play April, an intern who shadows her.”
- Jan. 14: KorbiTV reports more details about the show’s premise — “… like The Office, it’s basically documentary style. Set in the parks & recreation department of a local city government in some podunk town, Poehler will play a delusional employee, totally unaware that she doesn’t work in high ranking politics. And of course there will be supporting players around to make fun of her foolish idiocy.” Tipster: Eric
- Jan. 13: another cast member announced — Aubrey Plaza of The Jeannie Tate Show. Tipster: Red
- Jan. 13: People Magazine talks to Amy Poehler — “We start shooting in February and it’s on in April,” she says of the show, which she describes as “like Tina Turner in [1985’s Mad Max] Beyond Thunderdome. I am a boss; I have an office. It’s a whole different world. It’s not a spin-off, it’s a whole different place. [The Office’s] Rashida Jones plays my friend.” Tipster: Kristin
- Nov. 18: “Jones is set to play Ann Logan, a nurse whose boyfriend has a strange injury. It’s that injury that leads Jones’ character into the world populated by Poehler and Aziz Ansari.” More at Variety.
- Nov. 18: The New York Post reported this morning that Rashida Jones is joining the cast. (Tipster: Paul) Immediately suspicious of this information, I contacted Michael Schur, one of the showrunners, who confirms “It’s true. She’ll be playing a nurse named Ann. (Not Karen Fillipelli.)” There you have it — an OfficeTally scoop. Thanks, Mike!
- Nov. 14: Tallyhead Matthew reports, “Tonight I saw Aziz Ansari do his stand-up act in Seattle. I asked him when the spinoff starts shooting and he said in February and that it should begin airing in April.”
- Oct 23: Amy Poehler, Beyond Thunderdome.
- Oct 16: Work begins on The Office spin-off.
- July 21: NBC Honchos Talk About the Future of the Office-verse.
- July 21: official press release from NBC about the new show. Funny quotes from Greg Daniels and Michael Schur!
- July 20: In TV Week’s interview with NBC’s Ben Silverman, Silverman says: “Mike Schur and Greg Daniels had a relationship with [Amy Poehler] and Mike actually had a really strong one from his work with Will Arnett when Mike was on “Arrested Development,” and then through his relationship with Amy directly when he was on “Saturday Night Live.” The opportunity to grab her was so exciting. Now the other side of it is that she’s pregnant …”
Read the complete interview
- July 17: More Info About ‘The Office’ Spin-Off …
- July 17: Amy Poehler confirms she is going to new show.
- July 17: The Daily Show’s Only Female Writer Leaving For The Office Spinoff.
- July 16: Michael Ausiello weighs in — ‘Office’ 2.0 DOA?
- July 15: Amy Poehler may be ‘Office’ bound.
- July 15: Poehler to join post-‘Office’ show; show to be new series, not spin-off.
- July 15: SNL’s Amy Poehler to star in ‘Office’ spinoff?
- June 12: Aziz Ansari hired for ‘Office’ spinoff.
- June 12: Watch With Kristin — Rumor Patrol: Rashida Jones in Office Spinoff?
- June 9: Watch With Kristin — ‘Steve Carell makes my heart sing by telling us: “As far as I know, nobody is leaving ship. At least at this point, from what I’ve heard, I don’t think it’s based on any of the characters from the existing show. It’s an entirely new setup with new characters.’
- May 29: ‘The Office’ spinoff: Did someone forget to tell the actors about it?
- May 23: Spinoffs becoming ever more common. An interesting quote from Lost’s co-creator Damon Lindelof about ‘The Office.’
- May 15: Watch With Kristin: Steve Carell Rings In Tonight’s Season Finale — “I’m hearing that it has been decided who it’ll be, that Greg Daniels and actor/producer Mike Schur (Mose) are helming it and that tonight’s episode will pave the way for what it will be …”
- April 29: Watch With Kristin: Office Scoop on Finale and Spinoff.
- April 8: Ask Ausiello: read the second question, “What do you know about the Office spin-off?”
- April 2: Watch With Kristin: The Party Line on the Office Spinoff … and the Real Story from Insiders Who Know.
- April 2: New York Times: A New Thursday Night Sitcom.
- April 2: NBC.com: The Office Spin-Off.
- April 2: NBC.com: NBC showcases Greg Daniels’ “The Office” and his new “Office” spinoff in coveted post Super Bowl timeslot.
- April 2: Watch With Kristin: The Office Opens a New Branch?!
- April 2: Variety: Full NBC schedule takes shape.
- April 2: Ausiello Report: NBC Fall Schedule Scoop.
- April 2: Hollywood Reporter: NBC greenlights ‘Office’ spinoff.
Tipsters: MG714, Michael, Red, Ms. J to the B, Lynn, sorano916