Fan report: Dundie All-Star attends ‘The Rocker’ screening in Birmingham
Hi Tanster (and Tallyheads)!
I just got back from the advanced screening of “The Rocker” in Birmingham, MI, and man, it was such a blast! The movie was so good!! I can see how some other Tallyheads said they saw a little of Dwight in Rainn’s character in the movie, but overall he definitely sold me on the role of Fish.
Afterward they did a Q&A, and here are some of the highlights:
- Because of children in the audience, Rainn replaced “dirty” words with the word “watermelon.” Such as: the ugly face he makes when drumming is the same face he makes when he’s “watermeloning.” It became quite the running gag, and everyone got a good laugh out of it.
- Rainn says that shooting ran so close up to when they needed to start shooting season 4 of “The Office” that he worked six days a week, often up to 15 hours a day!
- I of course asked a question: “Did you do your own stunts?” To which he replied, “Almost all of them.” There was one where he fell off the stage that was not him, but all the other ones he took credit for, including getting hit in the groin!
- He loved working with everyone on the cast of “The Rocker,” and said it was great to work on a movie where everyone got to shine.
- Of “The Office,” he said he had lines written on his desk blotter so he didn’t have to memorize them and he was often drunk on set, both of which got big laughs.
- He admitted to having problems with not looking into the camera while on the movie set! He specifically referenced “Transformers 2,” (probably because that’s what he’s currently working on) and said Michael Bay probably wouldn’t approve of him looking into the camera all the time.
But the biggest shock of the night was afterward! My dad and I had just gotten out of the movie, so we decided to grab some dessert at one of my regular hangouts, a coffee shop called Java Hutt. We were there chatting about the movie and sharing a cheesecake when who should walk in but Rainn himself! He was being very incognito, with iPod buds in his ears and a hat on, but that didn’t stop me from recognizing him right away.
I casually approached him and told him I was sorry for bothering him, but I wanted to tell him again what a great job he did. He was extremely nice, and even thought my Schrutebucks to Stanley Nickels t-shirt was clever! My dad snapped a picture of the two of us, and his graciousness for letting me bug him absolutely made my night. I am still bubbling with excitement from meeting him!
It sounds like he has a full schedule, going to places like Philadelphia, New York, and San Francisco before going back to start shooting season 5 of “The Office,” so it was such a treat that he took the time to stop in “suburban Detroit.” Many thanks to him!!