From Jenna Fischer’s TV Guide blog, dated March 9, 2006:
The Office Relives a Classic “Day”
It’s an oldie but goodie on The Office tonight [9:30 pm/ET on NBC]. We are rerunning an episode from Season 1 called “Diversity Day.” Michael is subjected to a day of diversity training after complaints are made to corporate about his behavior. He hijacks the meeting and teaches his own brand of sensitivity.
If you are new to The Office, this will be a treat. “Diversity Day” is an often-quoted fan favorite. It is also a favorite of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, the creators of the original British version of The Office. One of Michael’s lines from this episode inspired The Office fan site NorthernAttack.com. And, if that weren’t enough to convince you that you should be excited about a rerun… this episode, written by B.J. Novak, was nominated for a Writers Guild Award.
More fun facts about “Diversity Day”:
- This was the second episode we ever shot. It was our first completely original episode. (Our pilot episode was adapted from the script of the British pilot.)
- You will see Steve Carell before he lost a ton of weight for The 40 Year Old Virgin.
- John Krasinski’s hair is longer.
- My hair is darker.
- You can see the very beginnings of the Jim-Pam romance.
- This is the episode that contains the infamous “Chris Rock Routine.”