I am thrilled to announce that OfficeTally’s final big contest of the summer is being sponsored by the staff of The Office, led by Co-Executive Producer Kent Zbornak!
Introducing The OfficeTally Talking Head Contest — re-create your favorite Office talking head on video, for a chance to win a cast-autographed copy of The Office Season 3 DVD!
UPDATE: Please read the new UPDATES section at the end of the post.
What’s a talking head?
It’s a scene of a single character, usually shot just from the waist up, talking directly to the camera. Here’s a talking head example from ‘Branch Closing’:
Pam: It’s a blessing in disguise. Actually, not even in disguise. Sometimes at home, I answer the phone, “Dunder-Mifflin, this is Pam.” So, maybe that’ll stop now.
Basically, all we want to see is you sitting in front of a camera, speaking the words. Raw, baby, raw.
- No NBC video footage, music, audio, or captioning are allowed.
- No other captioning, opening/closing credits, product/website pimpage, extra props, special effects, or other stuff like that are allowed. Don’t go all ILM on us.
- Use single-character talking head segments from broadcast episodes only (no webisodes, no deleted scenes, no talking heads featuring more than one person).
- You cannot deviate from, or add to, the original script. The words performed must be in English. How you perform the words, though, is up to you!
- One talking head per entry; multiple entries are allowed.
- Three-minute maximum length per entry.
- U.S. and Canada only, please.
How to submit an entry
- Choose a talking head scene. Our friends at OfficeQuotes.net have graciously set up a page with a fantastic selection of TH scenes.
- Record yourself enacting the scene.
- Upload the video to YouTube.
- Add a comment to this post with a link to your YouTube masterpiece. You’ll see a [from tanster: received] note in the comment when I’ve added it to the official list of submissions ready for judging. Please allow 24-48 hours for this to happen.
- Include a valid email address.
How to win
- The Office staff, led by Co-Executive Producer Kent Zbornak, will pick 20 finalists.
- The finalists will then be entered in a fan poll.
- The top five vote-getters will each receive a cast-autographed copy of The Office Season 3 DVD!
- Mon Aug 6: Contest announced.
- Sat Aug 18, 11pm PT: Deadline to submit entries.
- Mon Aug 27: 20 finalists selected, poll posted here at OfficeTally.
- Fri Aug 31, 11pm PT: Poll closes.
- Tue Sep 4: Prize winners announced!
- The rules, the prizes, and the schedule are all subject to change without notice. (Although I will do my best to not let that happen.)
- All decisions are final.
Kent says “Best of luck to everyone and we look forward to seeing all of your Dunderhead entries!”
Thanks, everybody, for all the questions!
At this point, since shooting has started on Season 4 and I don’t know when I’ll be able to talk to Kent and Company next, the best advice I can give you is that, if you want to do something that isn’t explicitly prohibited in the rules, then go for it.
Also, please keep in mind that entries will not be publicly viewable — when you post a comment here with a link to your entry, you’ll see [from tanster: received] in the comment when I’ve added it to the official list of submissions ready for judging.
Please be patient — it may take a few days for me to get to your entry!
To those of you looking forward to seeing all the entries, you’ll be able to see the 20 finalists on Monday, August 27. :)