The Los Angeles Times has an interesting article about The Office cast members who both write for and act on the show, notably Paul Lieberstein (“Toby”) and Mindy Kaling (“Kelly”).
… [Paul] Lieberstein has discovered a near-existential loneliness when it comes to acting. “The parts of it that have been hard are finding out what an incredible black hole acting can be. You’re out there and nobody talks to you, and you have no idea how you’re doing.” When he watches himself in dailies, “everything I see, I want to cut in the editing room.”
[Mindy’s] personality and background have helped develop Kelly into a popular supporting character and the sometime love interest of a reluctant Ryan. Her quirks have quickly been injected into Kelly’s persona. That includes “the online shopping, the talking really fast and the elements of boy craziness too, unfortunately,” she said.
Read They gave at ‘The Office’ — twice. (You may need to register with latimes.com to access the article.)
Angela Kinsey just updated her MySpace blog with a list of interviews that she will be doing tomorrow with Mindy Kaling (“Kelly”) on local NBC stations.
Check it out!
Update: Here’s a video clip from NBC5, Dallas/Ft. Worth. (thanks, Kristen)
Welcome to the Mindy News Network. At least for today. :)
Rather than put each new Mindy/Diwali story in a separate post, I will list them here:
- NBC.com: Interview with Mindy Kaling about Diwali. (Thanks Jill!)
- Netscape: on the set of The Office, part 2, with Mindy Kaling.
- Zap2it: Happy Diwali From ‘The Office’. Mindy Kaling takes center stage in episode about Hindu festival.
- NPR Fresh Air: Interview with Greg Daniels and Mindy Kaling (34 minutes).
- KDWB radio, Minneapolis: Dave Ryan in the Morning Show interviews Mindy Kaling.
- WKLH radio, Milwaukee: The Dave and Carole Show interviews Mindy Kaling. OfficeTally provided some of the questions!
SPOILER WARNING Any or all of the above may be spoilerish. I haven’t had time to check out each one, so this is a blanket warning. :)
Thanks to the many, many people who sent in tips on these tidbits, and a SPECIAL thank you to Marcus, Dave, and Carole over at WKLH!
TVGuide.com talks to Mindy Kaling about tonight’s episode, Diwali, which she wrote.
I love this quote:
The thing about our show is whenever there’s like a sweet moment, we have to counter it with a grotesque moment. Otherwise we become the sort of maudlin sitcom that we as writers hate. We don’t ever want to be the show with the “very special moment,” or where two characters understand each other finally. It has to be cut with something that’s not right, so we can “reset the order of the universe.”
Read Mindy Kaling Throws a Surprise-filled Office Party!
SPOILER WARNING! The article is a little spoilerish. Read at your own risk.
The Dartmouth details alumna Mindy Kaling’s (“Kelly”) busy career as a writer and actor.
Read the full article here.
Thanks to EDK for the tip!
Read the interview here.
Mindy talks about script writing, Kelly’s wardrobe (“two parts old lady one part Jennifer Lopez”), and food. Ah, glorious free junk food.
The Office was nominated for three Writers Guild Awards:
- COMEDY SERIES. The Office, written by Jennifer Celotta, Gregory M. Daniels, Lee Eisenberg, Ricky Gervais, Mindy Kaling, Paul B. Lieberstein, Stephen Merchant, B.J. Novak, Michael Schur, Gene Stupnitsky, Larry Wilmore
- NEW SERIES. The Office, written by Jennifer Celotta, Gregory M. Daniels, Lee Eisenberg, Ricky Gervais, Mindy Kaling, Paul B. Lieberstein, Stephen Merchant, B.J. Novak, Michael Schur, Gene Stupnitsky, Larry Wilmore
- EPISODIC COMEDY, any length, one airing time. Diversity Day (The Office), written by B.J. Novak
For the complete list of nominees, click here.